Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

In defense of Dandelions…..it is a matter of perspective.

Who can resist a bouquet of freshly picked dandelions from a child? Remember your innocence when you thought they were so pretty?

I am a sorta kinda military brat…that is my dad worked for a company that worked with the U.S. military. We moved quite often, usually locating near military bases. My brother and I attended schools “on base” along with “regular schools” depending on where we were stationed. That meant (for me) a different school from third grade thru my senior year in high school (except for three years in junior high in Korea). The dandelion is the “official flower” of the military brat: A dandelion is able to live and thrive wherever it is planted. Almost every part of it is useful. It travels where the wind blows.

Several years ago my husband worked for a gentleman from India. He told my husband this story:
When he was a young man, he moved from India to the United States. He found a home to rent and soon his young wife joined him in the States. He returned home one day to find her very excited. “Look at our backyard!” she exclaimed. “It is full of flowers!!!” He went to the patio window and discovered the dandelions had “bloomed.”

Are those weeds in your backyard…or has God planted a wildflower field just for you? It is just a matter of perception.

No comments:

Post a Comment